Immigration through Investment: Status and Filing FAQ

How Do I Seek Status as an Immigrant Investor?
In order to seek status as an immigrant investor, you must file CIS Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur. The Form I-526 must be filed with supporting documentation which clearly demonstrates that the individual's investment meets all requirements, such as:
  • establishing a new commercial enterprise,
  • investing the requisite capital amount, 
  • proving the investment comes from a lawful source of funds, 
  • creating the requisite number of jobs, 
  • demonstrating that the investor is actively participating in the business; and, where applicable, creating employment
How Do I Obtain Status as a Conditional Resident?
Once the Form I-526 is approved, immigrant investors may obtain status as a conditional resident by:
  • Filing CIS Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, if residing within the United States; or,
  • Applying for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad, if residing outside the United States.
How Do I Become a Permanent Resident Based on Investment?
In order to become a lawful permanent resident, eligible investors must file a CIS Form I-829, Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions. Form I-829 must be filed within 90 days before the second anniversary of an Alien Investor's admission to the United States as a conditional resident.
Where Do I Apply?
You should file the CIS Form I-526 at the CIS Service Center having jurisdiction over the area in which the new commercial enterprise will be principally doing business.